Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Astoria R Good Enough

This weekend we're gonna load up the Toyota Echo and head to the northwestest part of Oregon civilization: Astoria. Whenever you mention Astoria, you're supposed to remind the reader that "The Goonies" was filmed there. Now that we got that out of the way (as well as the Cyndi Lauper reference: see this post's title), we can get to the good stuff.

We haven't settled on a route to get to Astoria yet. Actually, we have, but I'm not going to disclose it here because I would like to believe that someone reading this is a stalker, and frankly I won't give you the satisfaction of knowing where I am. That reminds me. I watched last night's Colbert Report and it was much better than I thought it would be. Obama even put in a few words! What a guy.

Back to our goings on.

We haven't had a sound vacation in awhile. I guess life is, you know, like a vacation, man. Right? I mean, we work and we play and we have a good time, right? I dig, man.

Aside from that, we haven't spent the night, together, somewhere other than here for awhile. Since I decided not to do the OSU graduation thing this time around, we figured we'd make the most of the weekend outside of Corvallis city limits. Why Astoria?

Well, there's the Lewis and Clark angle. And of course the aforementioned Goonies. And I think there was a song about Astoria on the radio a few years ago. I dunno. (Well, I guess I do since I bothered to get the Wikipedia link for you.) Why not Astoria? You got a problem with it?

If there's no better reason, then at least it's a nice name. Astoria. Doesn't it make you think of fairies and rainbows and magic? Assssstorrrria. Now say it with a British accent. Ah-STOW-ree-yah. Hm. Maybe more transatlanticish. Ah-STAH-ree-ah. How about a nice cockney? A-STA-REE-YAAAH. Now Klingon. A'sto'ri'acklablak. Doesn't that sound nice?

Anyhow, it'll be a blast. Next destination: Ryan Hill!

No comments: